About Simply Music®
This approach is a “playing based” way of learning. Traditional piano lessons are “reading based”. It is a completely natural way of learning piano enabling the student to become articulate on the piano before note reading is introduced.
Expecting students to read music before they learn how to play the piano is like expecting children to read and spell before they have learned how to talk! In fact, we all talked for years before we learned how to read and spell. Beginning students, without having to focus on reading music, are free to relate directly to the piano in a creative way, learning to improvise and compose their own songs. Within months, they experience the freedom of creatively playing the piano and develop a deep connection with music as they build an extraordinary repertoire of contemporary, classical, blues, jazz and accompaniment pieces.
Simply Music® vs. Traditional Piano Lessons
Distinguishing features that separate Simply Music® from traditional piano lessons:
- The quantity of music students learn to play
- The quality of music students immediately learn to play
- The speed of progress
- The ease with which students experience the process
Student GoalsPlease note the following goals for a Simply Music® student which are distinctly different than goals for a traditional piano student.
- Having the ability to play a huge repertoire of songs in different styles (classical, contemporary, blues, jazz, accompaniments)
- Experiencing playing as a natural self-expression
- Having a highly positive, self-affirming experience with the learning process